Colts trade up for Jonathan Taylor in 2nd round
Indianapolis swapped its second-rounder (No. 44) and fifth-round selection (No. 160) to move up three spots.
Taylor joins Marlon Mack in the Colts' backfield. Mack, the team's leading rusher the last two seasons, is entering the final year of his rookie contract in 2020.
The former Badger was one of the most accomplished running backs in college football history. His 6,174 career rushing yards rank sixth all time in Division I history.
Weight: 226 lbs
- One of the most productive running backs in college football history - two straight 2,000-yard campaigns
- Good size with an athletic build and possesses excellent speed
- Unique blend of power and burst
- Patient in the backfield and lets his holes open before making a decision
- Has the ability to absorb contact and stay balanced
- Runs low, strong, and with very high effort
- Arm tackles rarely work to bring him down
- Improved his skills as a receiver every year in college
- Not a polished route-runner and had issues with drops
- 926 career carries in college - already overworked
- Appears somewhat stiff when changing directions and has difficulty regaining speed when he stops
After a historic career at Wisconsin, Taylor stands a good chance at being the first running back selected in April's draft. With blazing speed and a powerful lower body, the two-time All-American is able to pick up chunk yardage and is often difficult to tackle. Though he doesn't change direction as quickly as some of his peers, his athleticism and high football IQ make him an ideal fit in an inside-zone scheme. However, his lack of receiving chops could ultimately hold him back. Taylor may never be a true three-down back in the NFL, but he can do plenty of damage on the ground.
- Panthers' Burns lauds interim coach Tabor: Can tell he's about business
- Hill? Watt? Bland? Why this could be the year to crown an unusual NFL MVP
- Examining the Penguins' struggling power play, and other unexpected NHL trends
- Durant moves into 10th on NBA's all-time scoring list in loss to Nuggets
- Tatum ejected as Celtics edge shorthanded 76ers