Several members of the Boston Red Sox will be visiting President Donald Trump and the White House on Thursday. Others, like skipper Alex Cora, will not.
It has caused some speculation that there is tension flowing through the Red Sox clubhouse. Following Wednesday's 2-1 victory over the Baltimore Orioles, Cora squashed those notions.
"There's been a lot of talk about what's going on tomorrow, the clubhouse being divided, race, politics, whatever," Cora said, according to Rob Bradford of WEEI. "Those kids went out there and they played their heart out. We know who we are in the clubhouse. We know a lot of people doubt that. But like last year, we cancel the noise, we show up every day, and we play.
"I was watching the game, and I was like, 'You know what, yeah.' It was cool. For everybody that's talking about us, the situation, crushing us throughout the week, well, they played extra innings. They didn't give in. And you see them in the clubhouse, they're celebrating Heath (Hembree) because of the first save, they're celebrating Jackie (Bradley Jr.), and now, we go. There's a group that’s going home, and there's a group going to the White House. And on Friday, we get back - get back to playing baseball."
Cora's decision not to attend received an endorsement from former Red Sox slugger David Ortiz, who said the manager would be shaking "hands with the enemy" had he gone.
Other than Cora, players Mookie Betts, Bradley, Rafael Devers, David Price, Christian Vazquez, Hector Velazquez, and Sandy Leon are among those not attending the visit. Meanwhile, Matt Barnes, Ryan Brasier, Mitch Moreland, Steve Pearce, Hembree, Chris Sale, Rick Porcello, Nathan Eovaldi, and J.D. Martinez are among Boston players making the trip.