Report: Red Wings want 1st-round pick for Nyquist, Howard
The Detroit Red Wings have reportedly put a high price tag on Gustav Nyquist and Jimmy Howard.
The club is seeking a first-round pick for each player, a source told MLive.com's Ansar Khan.
For Howard, it seems his price tag has remained consistent over the last month. Back in mid-December, Sportsnet's Elliotte Friedman reported the Red Wings were asking for a first-round selection for the veteran netminder.
According to Khan, the team doesn't expect to get that return for either player and will look to re-sign Nyquist and Howard as a result. Both will become unrestricted free agents on July 1.
To each player's credit, they have performed well on a team that sits just two points out of last place in the Eastern Conference. Nyquist ranks second on the team with 40 points in 48 games. Meanwhile, Howard has gone 13-12-5 with a 2.71 goals-against average and a .917 save percentage over 32 games while earning an All-Star Game nod.
- Lyles helps Royals win another game against struggling Astros
- Pirates hurt Reds' wild-card chances with historic win after trailing by 9 runs
- Kidd: Mavs' center spot 'up for grabs,' rookie Lively to get 1st look
- Rangers get 7 scoreless innings from Montgomery in big win over Mariners
- Means flirts with no-no in 3rd start back after Tommy John, O's beat Guardians