Vladimir Guerrero Jr.'s long-awaited promotion to Triple-A may be around the corner.
With the 19-year-old phenom making a mockery of the Double-A Eastern League on a nightly basis, the Toronto Blue Jays have reportedly discussed the possibility of calling Guerrero Jr. up to Buffalo within the next month, a source told Jon Morosi of FOX Sports.
Guerrero Jr., the game's consensus top prospect and the youngest player in the Eastern League, has exceeded even the loftiest expectations through the first two months of the 2018 campaign, hitting .409/.461/.677 with 11 home runs, 18 doubles, one triple, and a 0.95 walk-to-strikeout ratio in 51 games with the New Hampshire Fisher Cats.
Last week, amid increasing furor from fans to call Guerrero Jr. up to the big leagues, Blue Jays general manager Ross Atkins intimated that a promotion may be on the horizon for the prodigious third baseman.
"The biggest factor is him realizing his potential and the best place to do that right now is in New Hampshire but that won't be forever and it won't be for long," Atkins told Prime Time Sports on Sportsnet 590 The FAN. "He's dominating at a rate that suggests that he needs to be considered for Triple-A."
Guerrero Jr., who hasn't yet been added to Toronto's 40-man roster, missed New Hampshire's last game after injuring his left leg during the nightcap of Saturday's doubleheader in Binghamton, but will return to the lineup Tuesday.