Rangers sticking with scuffling Odor, manager says
Sean M. Haffey / Getty Images Sport / Getty

Texas Rangers second baseman Rougned Odor hasn't done much this spring to win back his manager's confidence following a disastrous 2017 campaign, but Jeff Banister nevertheless confirmed Saturday that he isn't considering any alternatives at second base.

"Right now we are moving forward with Rougned Odor as our second baseman," Banister told T.R. Sullivan of MLB.com.

After landing a six-year, $49.5-million extension from the Rangers last spring, Odor promptly unraveled, hitting just .204/.252/.397 (65 OPS+) - albeit with 30 home runs and 15 stolen bases - over 162 games in 2017. His lack of plate discipline was a major issue - only 11 qualified hitters swung at a higher percentage of pitches outside the strike zone - and he was completely punchless when behind in the count, hitting just .145/.186/.325 with two strikes against him.

As such, Odor - who managed last year the lowest OBP by a qualified hitter since Vernon Wells (.248) in 2011 - arrived at spring training resolved to improve his approach.

"Just hit my pitch," Odor explained in February. "Last year I swung at a lot of pitches out of the zone. This year I am working at hitting my pitch."

This spring, however, the 24-year-old has gone just 6-for-37 (.162) with no homers in 14 Cactus League contests, and has struck out multiple times in five of his last seven games.

Still, Banister suggested he isn't considering the possibility of installing Jurickson Profar at second base, or even handing more than an occasional start to Darwin Barney, who signed a minor-league deal with the club in February.

Comments
Rangers sticking with scuffling Odor, manager says
  Got something to say? Leave a comment below!
Daily Newsletter
Get the latest trending sports news daily in your inbox