Earlier this winter, after missing the entire 2017 campaign and appearing in just 75 games over the two seasons prior due to unrelenting injury problems, New York Mets star David Wright admitted that he can't be relied on this year.
Now, with spring training underway, the seven-time All-Star is unsure if he can play at all in 2018.
"Well, I'm going to give it my best shot, certainly," Wright told reporters, including MLB.com's Anthony DiComo, on Saturday. "Like I said, I probably have a lot of the same questions that you're asking me, and a lot of people are asking of me, because I just don't know. It's certainly been an uphill climb for me. So I guess to honestly answer your question, I don't know. I'm not sure what the expectation is. I'd love to play again, but my body's got to hold up and gonna have to cooperate with me a little bit."
Since being diagnosed with spinal stenosis in 2015, Wright has essentially been a non-factor for the Mets, enduring multiple surgeries and countless setbacks that have cast a pall over his future in baseball. Though he arrived at spring training last year optimistic about his health, a shoulder problem derailed his progress in February, sidelining him for the entire season. In September, Wright underwent surgery to repair a torn rotator cuff.
He's slowly making progress in his recovery from that procedure - "baby steps are still steps in the right direction," Wright said - but he hasn't yet set a date for when he expects to resume baseball activities. He does plan to "ramp things up" soon, however.
Meanwhile, the Mets clearly operated this offseason with the presumption that Wright won't be available for much of the 2018 campaign, at least, having signed third baseman Todd Frazier to a two-year, $17-million deal earlier this month.
"We are certainly, in my opinion, a very good team without me," Wright said. "My mindset is that we will be a better team with both of us out there. Terrific player and somebody that I think will fit in well with this team."