AL wild-card race shaping up to be one of the best
This is what Major League Baseball wanted when it added a second wild-card spot heading into the 2012 season.
With eight weeks to go in the regular season, nine teams are within 6 1/2 games of the top wild-card spot, and seven teams are within four games of the second wild-card position.
AL WILD-CARD STANDINGS
Since the second wild card was introduced, there hasn't been this many teams within four games of a playoff spot in mid-August as there are this season.
According to Fangraphs' playoff probabilities Sunday, the wild-card game will be held in the Bronx between the New York Yankees and Mike Trout's Los Angeles Angels.
FANGRAPHS' PLAYOFF PROBABILITY
The Yankees lost in the 2015 wild-card game to the Astros, while the Angels haven't reached the postseason since 2014, and haven't won a playoff game since Trout broke into the league in 2011.
- Canucks beat Bruins in shootout as Boudreau wins 2nd straight game
- Warriors knock off Trail Blazers but Curry falls short of 3-point record
- Ortiz: I have 'faith' Schilling will be elected to HOF this year
- Rockets beat shorthanded Nets for 7th straight win
- Puig joins KBO's Kiwoom Heroes on 1-year, $1M deal