AL wild-card race shaping up to be one of the best
This is what Major League Baseball wanted when it added a second wild-card spot heading into the 2012 season.
With eight weeks to go in the regular season, nine teams are within 6 1/2 games of the top wild-card spot, and seven teams are within four games of the second wild-card position.
AL WILD-CARD STANDINGS
Since the second wild card was introduced, there hasn't been this many teams within four games of a playoff spot in mid-August as there are this season.
According to Fangraphs' playoff probabilities Sunday, the wild-card game will be held in the Bronx between the New York Yankees and Mike Trout's Los Angeles Angels.
FANGRAPHS' PLAYOFF PROBABILITY
The Yankees lost in the 2015 wild-card game to the Astros, while the Angels haven't reached the postseason since 2014, and haven't won a playoff game since Trout broke into the league in 2011.
- Giants' Neal says he's not concerned with booing fans, 'sheep' critics
- WHL suspends coach Constantine until at least 2025 over discriminatory comments
- Seahawks' Adams apologizes for lashing out at neurologist on sideline
- Twins sweep Blue Jays for 1st playoff series win since 2002
- Fantasy Podcast: Should you buy or sell these 14 stars?