The NCAA will vote March 30 on whether to grant additional eligibility to winter and spring athletes whose senior campaigns were shortened due to the ongoing coronavirus pandemic, a source told Stadium's Jeff Goodman.
On March 12, the NCAA canceled its remaining winter and spring championships, including marquee events such as the men's and women's March Madness basketball tournaments, the College World Series, and the Frozen Four hockey tournaments.
Some influential figures from the coaching world have voiced their support for providing some leeway in terms of eligibility.
"I do know in my heart that every student-athlete whose sport was canceled and never had a chance to play this spring, no question, they should be allowed to have an extra year of eligibility," Connecticut women's basketball coach Geno Auriemma said earlier in March, adding that the NCAA should adjust its rules about the number of scholarships available to each school.
Kansas men's basketball coach Bill Self echoed his fellow Hall of Famer, saying the prospect of adding additional eligibility was "a great thought and something that you would think would be considered," according to 247Sports' Michael Swain.