Lonzo to have 3rd knee surgery, could reportedly miss all of 2023-24
The Chicago Bulls announced Thursday that guard Lonzo Ball will undergo a third surgery on his left knee.
He is expected to miss most, if not all, of the 2023-24 season, sources told Shams Charania of The Athletic.
"My main focus has been on returning to the court and getting to a place where I can rejoin my teammates," Ball said in a statement.
"This has been a frustrating process, but I’m confident these next steps are the best path forward. The support of my family, friends, fans and medical staff throughout my recovery is what keeps me moving forward. I can’t wait to get back to what I love doing most - playing basketball."
Ball and the team are optimistic that the procedure will help get him back on the court again. The 25-year-old hasn't played since January 2022 when he suffered a small meniscus tear in the same knee. He underwent two surgeries last year, the second one coming as he continued to experience pain.
The Bulls shut down Ball for the season Feb. 21 after he felt discomfort in his knee during basketball activities.
Chicago recently signed guard Patrick Beverley, who's been in the starting lineup since the All-Star break. The Bulls are 31-37, chasing a spot in the Eastern Conference play-in tournament.
Ball averaged 13 points, 5.4 boards, and 5.1 assists in 35 games for Chicago last season.