Raptors open preseason with win over new-look Jazz in Edmonton
Chris Boucher scored 11 points and Precious Achiuwa added 10 to lead Toronto past Utah 114-82 in Edmonton, Alberta, on Sunday night.
Josh Jackson also had 10 points for the Raptors on 4-for-5 shooting from the field.
Lauri Markkanen led the Jazz with 20 points, and Collin Sexton and rookie Walker Kessler each contributed 11 points. Kessler, the No. 22 overall pick from Auburn, was 5 of 7 from the field in 13 minutes.
The Raptors’ starters played limited time, none of the first five logging more than 18 minutes.
The game was the first look at the changes for the Jazz, who traded key pieces like center Rudy Gobert, Royce O’Neale, Donovan Mitchell and Bojan Bogdanovic during the offseason. Even former coach Quin Snyder is gone, making way for Will Hardy.
Markkanen, one of several players who came from Cleveland in the trade for Mitchell, helped the Jazz stay within 50-49 at the half with 17 first-half points. But Toronto would outscore Utah 32-15 in the third quarter to take control.
- Report: Suns' Beal targeting Tuesday return vs. Warriors
- Lakers win debut NBA Cup behind dominant performances from LeBron, AD
- theScore's 50 favorite moments of 2023: Fights, phenoms, and epic buzzer-beaters
- Kyrie suffered heel contusion in win over Blazers
- Kerr: Warriors are 'good enough to win a championship'