Conor McGregor likes the idea of former foe Jose Aldo dropping down to bantamweight.
Aldo, who faces Marlon Moraes at UFC 245 on Dec. 14, has received a lot of criticism for choosing to switch weight classes. But McGregor, a former UFC two-division champion, defended the Brazilian's decision Friday on social media.
"(Aldo) looks more than on top of it in my experienced opinion," McGregor wrote on Twitter. "Well trimmed in advance, and naturally a lighter man now. This can only be done over a long length of time and with complete dedication. Respect! I wish him well and am excited to see him in this division."
Recent photos of Aldo in the gym surfaced earlier this week, prompting some to wonder if moving down in weight was the right call. Aldo has historically had a tough cut to 145 pounds and arguably looks more drained than usual in the photos.
However, Aldo said earlier this week he feels exceptional ahead of his bantamweight debut and is confident he'll make the weight.
"I had it in my mind that it would be difficult to make weight, to go on a diet, but it was the exact opposite," he said Tuesday. "I'm feeling strong, training super well."
McGregor, who has not competed since October 2018, meets Donald Cerrone in his return at UFC 246 on Jan. 18 in Las Vegas.