Marseille into French Cup round of 16 after 8th consecutive win
Paris, Jan 20, 2023 (AFP) - Marseille racked up their eighth successive win on Friday when a 1-0 victory over Rennes gave them a spot in the French Cup last 16.
Midfielder Matteo Guendouzi scored the only goal of the game in the 59th minute following good work by Jordan Veretout.
Marseille haven't won the French Cup since 1989.
However, they were roared to victory at the Stade Velodrome by a 57,000-strong crowd against a Rennes side that stunned Paris Saint-Germain in Ligue 1 last weekend.
"It's a different victory to the others because we were in a knockout game," said Marseille coach Igor Tudor.
"The players were very motivated and they interpreted the game very well, against a good team."
- Report: Dolphins not expected to pursue Brady
- Colts' Taylor undergoes ankle surgery, will be 'ready to go' for 2023
- Refs confirm missed foul call for LeBron at end of regulation vs. Celtics
- Penguins' Sullivan: 'I've gotta do a better job coaching these guys'
- Report: Chiefs' Kelce set to play vs. Bengals despite back spasms