Depay suggests Barcelona deal is close
Amsterdam, June 16, 2021 (AFP) - Netherlands star Memphis Depay has hinted that he is on the verge of sealing a move to Barcelona as he admitted his desire to team up again with former national team coach Ronald Koeman.
"Things will become clear with the transfer. I want to leave it at that for now," Depay said after being asked about his club future at a press conference ahead of the Netherlands' Euro 2020 game on Thursday against Austria.
"Everyone knows that I have been linked to Barcelona for a long time and that I want to play under Ronald Koeman.
"Let's wait and see."
Depay, 27, is a free agent after opting not to extend his contract with Lyon, for whom he scored 20 goals in the past Ligue 1 season.
A mooted move to Barcelona already fell through at the beginning of the season.
Koeman moved to the Camp Nou last August having previously spent two years managing Depay with the Dutch side.
Barcelona have already strengthened their attack with the signing of Sergio Aguero from Manchester City on a two-year deal.
- Giants win 100 games for 1st time since 2003
- Cole, Stanton lead Yankees past Red Sox, cut wild-card lead to 1
- Love: Getting called out for making Olympic team was 'wrong in so many ways'
- NHL enforcing stricter cross-checking rules in 2021-22
- Wiggins denied religious exemption for COVID-19 vaccine, can't play at home