Ronaldo strikes late to help Manchester United reach UCL knockouts
Ronaldo's smooth volley off a broken play in the 78th minute opened the scoring, and Jadon Sancho finally netted his first goal for United in the 90th with a powerful shot that ricocheted off the crossbar.
The goals, combined with Atalanta's 3-3 draw with Young Boys, assured United of first place in Group F. The Red Devils have 10 points heading into the final matchday, with Villarreal sitting on seven and Atalanta on six. United hold the head-to-head advantage over the Spanish side.
(Available to view in U.S. only)
(Available to view in Canada only)
Michael Carrick also celebrated his first match as interim manager with the win. Carrick is serving in a caretaker capacity as the club searches for a permanent replacement for Ole Gunnar Solskjaer, who left his role Sunday following a 4-1 loss to Watford.
- Atletico squeak into Champions League round of 16, Milan out of Europe
- Watch: Asensio's stunner helps Real Madrid seal 1st place over Inter in Group D
- Liverpool make history by finishing UCL group stage with perfect record
- Mbappe, Messi double up to fire PSG past Club Brugge
- Walker sent off as Manchester City crash at RB Leipzig