BC-AP Sports Preview Digest
Some of the sports stories covered by The Associated Press on Saturday. A full Digest will be sent at about 3 p.m. All times EST:
- LOS ANGELES - Top-ranked Notre Dame can book its trip to the BCS title game by completing an undefeated regular season with a win in its storied rivalry with struggling Southern California. Starts 8 p.m.
- It's time for Super Saturday, college football's greatest 24-hour period. There are rivalries galore, from Alabama-Auburn and Michigan-Ohio State to USC-Notre Dame and Georgia-Georgia Tech. By the time the day is done, we should have a clear picture of the national championship race. Or maybe not. Developing.
- TUSCALOOSA, Ala. - No. 2 Alabama can secure a spot in the SEC title game with a win over heavy underdog Auburn in the Iron Bowl. Starts 3:30 p.m.
- ATHENS, Ga. - No. 3 Georgia tries to stay on track for a shot at the national title when it takes on two-touchdown underdog Georgia Tech. Starts noon.
- CORVALLIS, Ore. - No. 5 Oregon looks to rebound after its first loss when it meets No. 16 Oregon State, needing a win to keep any hope alive of a fourth straight Pac-12 title and playing in the national title game . Starts 3 p.m.
- PASADENA, Calif. - No. 11 Stanford visits No. 15 UCLA for the first of two potential meetings in seven days. With a win, the Cardinal can clinch the Pac-12 North title and a rematch Friday with the Bruins, who have already won the Pac-12 South. Starts 3:30 p.m.
- TALLAHASSEE, Fla. - No. 10 Florida State hosts sixth-ranked Florida in a matchup of once-beatens with the winner possibly remaining in the hunt for a national title. Starts 3:30 p.m.
- COLUMBUS, Ohio - No. 20 Michigan and fourth-ranked Ohio State square off in ``The Game'' for the 109th time, with the Buckeyes (11-0) looking to complete a perfect season with no bowl game waiting in the future. Starts noon.
- PARADISE ISLAND, Bahamas - No. 2 Louisville plays No. 5 Duke in the final of the Battle 4 Atlantis men's basketball tournament. Starts 8:30 p.m.
- SAN JUAN, Puerto Rico - Hector ``Macho'' Camacho, a Puerto Rican boxer known for skill and flamboyance in the ring as well as for a messy personal life and run-ins with the police, was declared dead on Saturday, four days after being shot in the face. He was 50. Sent.
- DUBAI, United Arab Emirates - Rory McIlroy sank a short birdie putt on the 18th hole to remain tied with Luke Donald as the world's two top-ranked golfers pulled three shots clear of a star-studded field after the third round of the Dubai World Championship.
- A question-and-answer look at where things stand in the NHL lockout, which so far has wiped out more than two months of the season because of a labor dispute.
- ASPEN, Colo. - Although she's weakened by a stomach virus, Lindsey Vonn will take the slopes for a World Cup giant slalom race. First of two runs 12:15 p.m.
- DALLAS - Steve Nash is likely out for his first trip to Dallas with the Lakers, who have dropped the first two of three road games in four nights. Starts 8:30 p.m.
- EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. - For anyone wondering if the New York Giants will wake up to make a run at defending their Super Bowl title, Sunday's game against the streaking Green Bay Packers should be a good indication. Sent in advance.