Report: 49ers' Ahmad Brooks removed himself from Sunday's game

by Nov 17, 10:40 AM

San Francisco 49ers linebacker Ahmad Brooks pulled himself from Sunday's 16-10 win over the New York Giants, according to multiple reports.

Brooks was reportedly unhappy with his reduced role after fellow linebacker Aldon Smith returned to the lineup and decided to sit on the bench in protest.

"We're working through something," 49ers head coach Jim Harbaugh told reporters following the game.

In the locker room, Brooks declined to comment on the situation, saying, "I'm not taking questions today, maybe later in the week."

Confirming Harbaugh's assessment, he added, "Yeah, we're working through something."

While the situation between Harbaugh and Brooks appears acrimonious, Harbaugh indicated the team would be sticking with the second team All-Pro. "We need Ahmad Brooks to win a championship," Harbaugh said.

Nov 19, 5:29 PM

49ers' Ahmad Brooks explains why he was benched vs. Giants

by Nov 19, 5:29 PM

San Francisco 49ers linebacker Ahmad Brooks was mysteriously benched during the second half of Sunday's 16-10 win over the New York Giants.

Brooks, a second-team All-Pro the past two seasons, was unhappy with his decreasing playing time, with Aldon Smith returning to the lineup and rookie Aaron Lynch excelling throughout the year.

49ers head coach Jim Harbaugh was reluctant to discuss the matter with the media, but Brooks expanded on the incident Wednesday, admitting he yelled at 49ers defensive line coach Jim Tomsula.

“It was an emotional reaction during a game," Brooks said to reporters outside of his locker Wednesday. “I reacted out (of) my character. I did not quit on the team.

"I did not take myself out of the game, but words that were said by me obviously couldn’t be taken back. So they decided to not put me back in the game."

Brooks did not record a tackle prior to his benching Sunday.

"I can’t be a distraction, especially by me being a veteran. I can’t bring that attitude to the team. I’ve got to just look at myself in the mirror and say, ‘What can I do to make Ahmad Brooks better?’ Then the team will be better as well," Brooks said, as relayed by Eric Branch of the San Francisco Gate.

Harbaugh did specify that Brooks's benching wasn't for insubordination.

"He got emotional on the sideline. Emotions played into it when it shouldn’t. I believe in Ahmad Brooks, believe he’s going to make a vital contribution to our team, as he always has," Harbaugh said Wednesday.

"The cold hard facts are that … he’s started the last 58 games. Nobody has answered the bell more than Ahmad Brooks has for this football team.”

San Francisco plays the Washington Redskins at home Sunday.

Feature photo courtesy of Ron Chenoy / Reuters

Nov 17, 7:56 PM

49ers' Harbaugh: Issues with Ahmad Brooks have been 'addressed'

by Nov 17, 7:56 PM

San Francisco 49ers head coach Jim Harbaugh doesn't have much to say about linebacker Ahmad Brooks' self-imposed benching in the second half of Sunday's victory over the New York Giants.

"Yes, we've addressed it and had those conversations," Harbaugh said on Monday as relayed by ESPN's Paul Gutierrez.

Brooks was reportedly upset about his decreased playing time in the wake of Aldon Smith's return to the lineup.

When asked if he could be more specific about what was discussed, Harbaugh was characteristically tight-lipped.

"Yeah, I can be specific," he said. "I can be very specific. It's something I don't want to share with you or share publicly."

Nov 7, 11:59 PM

49ers head coach Jim Harbaugh refuses comment on potential Ahmad Brooks trade

by Nov 7, 11:59 PM

San Francisco 49ers head coach Jim Harbaugh wouldn't comment on a report that linebacker Ahmad Brooks was close to being traded to the Cleveland Browns before the trade deadline.

Brooks has been named a second-team All-Pro the last two seasons.

“No, no, I don’t have any comment on that,” Harbaugh said to ESPN's Paul Gutierrez. "As always, no comment on those things. It would be secondhand, and I don’t have the specific knowledge."

Fox Sports' Jay Glazer reported Sunday that the Browns were in talks with the 49ers, but San Francisco refused to deal him at the last minute.

Nov 2, 3:13 PM

Report: 49ers were close to dealing Ahmad Brooks to Browns

by Nov 2, 3:13 PM

San Francisco 49ers linebacker Ahmad Brooks nearly became a Cleveland Brown earlier this week, according to Jay Glazer of Fox Sports.

The 49ers and Browns were close to working out a deal in advance of Tuesday's deadline that would've seen Brooks head to Cleveland in exchange for a mid-round draft pick.

Brooks, a second-team All-Pro each of the last two seasons, could be viewed as expendable by the 49ers, who are hoping to get outside linebacker Aldon Smith back from suspension as soon as next week. Smith's return, combined with the emergence of rookie outside linebacker Aaron Lynch could make Brooks the odd-man out in San Francisco's deep linebacking corps.

Brooks signed a six-year, $44.5 million extension with the 49ers in 2012 and will earn a base salary of $6 million in 2015.