Warriors looking to increase protection on draft pick
The Golden State Warriors are reportedly in negotiations with the Utah Jazz to increase the protection on their first round draft pick. The Warriors' first round pick is currently top-7 protected, meaning that if the draft lottery places them 8th or lower, the pick goes to Utah. Golden State is attempting to reach a deal with Utah that would see the protection increased or have all scenarios removed in which Utah acquires the pick. If Utah does not receive the Warriors pick this year, they will get it in a future draft.
Sources in the report say that a deal is "likely" but the Warriors are trying to make it happen without giving up any players on their current roster.
There is a 72% chance that Golden State's pick this year will fall in the top-7, however they want to ensure that they don't fall victom to the 28% chance of losing a pick in the 8-10 range. Teams can only fall a maximum of 3 spots in the draft lottery from the position they are initially expected to be in.