BC-AP Sports Preview Digest
Some of the sports stories The Associated Press is covering Friday. A full Sports Digest will be sent about 3 p.m. EST:
- NEW ORLEANS - Jon Vilma asks a federal judge to reject the request by NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell to dismiss the defamation lawsuit by the Saints linebacker.
- Alabama vs. Notre Dame for the BCS title is not the only game in town. There are plenty of other great matchups, story lines and players to watch the next three weeks.
- NEW YORK - The NHL and union are expected to speak, trying to plot a course on how to proceed in an effort to end the lockout.
- NEW YORK - Kevin Youkilis and Yankees complete their $12 million, one-year contract, giving New York a third baseman while Alex Rodriguez recovers from hip surgery.
- WASHINGTON - Bad as things are for the Wizards, who are 3-16, it's nowhere near as unexpected as the struggles of Kobe Bryant's Lakers. Game starts 7 p.m.
- CINCINNATI - The Bengals have played some of their worst football in the last few weeks, but they've managed to stay in playoff contention in spite of themselves.
- PHILADELPHIA - After an impressive comeback in Tampa Bay, the Eagles went back to their losing ways and were awfully sloppy in falling to the Bengals on Thursday night.
- INDIANAPOLIS - Help is on the way, not that No. 1 Indiana needs it. Two freshmen suspended for the season's first nine games are expected to play Saturday against Butler.
- CHAPEL HILL, N.C. - North Carolina tailback Gio Bernard is entering the NFL draft after earning third-team All-America honors as a sophomore.
- VAL GARDENA, Italy - Overall World Cup leader Aksel Lund Svindal dominates again in speed races by winning a super-G.
- VAL D'ISERE, France - Lara Gut of Switzerland wins a World Cup downhill. Lindsey Vonn crashes out but U.S. makes a strong showing.
- BRECKENRIDGE, Colo. - Soon it will be a year until the next Winter Olympics. That leaves it to snowboard trendsetter Shaun White to show what's in store.