Jon Jones injures knee; title fight with Cormier moved to UFC 182 in January

Aug 12, 7:07 PM

A leg injury suffered by UFC light heavyweight champion Jon Jones has forced his title fight against Daniel Cormier to be postponed until Jan. 3.

The UFC announced Tuesday that Jones (20-1) and Cormier (15-0) will instead meet at UFC 182, with flyweight champion Demetrious Johnson stepping into action against Chris Cariaso on Sept. 27 at UFC 178 as a replacement.

The Jones-Cormier match, which featured Cormier stepping in for an injured Alexander Gustafsson, garnered more attention when a fight broke out during a press conference

Feature photo courtesy of USA TODAY Sports/Tom Szczerbowski

July 23, 7:59 PM

Alexander Gustafsson ruled out following injury; Daniel Cormier to face Jon Jones at UFC 178

July 23, 7:59 PM

The rematch between Alexander Gustafsson and UFC light heavyweight champion Jon Jones will have to wait, as the Swedish fighter has pulled out of UFC 178 following an unspecified injury during training, UFC officials announced Wednesday.

Daniel Cormier replaces the injured Gustafsson and will fight Jones for the title Sept. 27 in Las Vegas at the MGM Grand Garden Arena.

September's meeting will be the first between the Jones and Cormier.

It's a match-up Jones will welcome after his proclamation last month that he believed Cormier was a more deserving opponent than Gustafsson, whom Jones defeated by unanimous decision at UFC 165 in 2013 in Toronto, albeit to some disagreement from the general public.

Cormier, 35, made his UFC debut in April 2013 following his move from Strikeforce and has gone on to pick up victories against Patrick Cummins and Dan Henderson. He enters the fight with a 15-0 MMA record and 4-0 mark in the UFC.

June 17, 5:30 PM

Jon Jones: Daniel Cormier deserves title shot over Alexander Gustafsson

June 17, 5:30 PM

Although UFC light heavyweight kingpin Jon Jones is set to rematch Alexander Gustafsson sometime later this year, he still can't stop talking about stepping into the Octagon with former Olympian Daniel Cormier.

“Who’s more deserving? I would say Daniel Cormier has better accolades and the better record,” Jones told Fox Sports 1 (via MMAJunkie) when asked which challenger he thought was more deserving of vying for his title. “He’s undefeated, and he’s beaten former world champions before. He was a world champion in the Strikeforce organization, so I would say Cormier.

“But, I think the fans want to see me fight Alexander more, and I think that’s what’s most important.”

Waiting on a title shot may turn out to be beneficial for Cormier, as the former Strikeforce Heavyweight Grand Prix champion is recovering from multiple knee injuries (a torn LCL, and a damaged ACL).

June 16, 4:31 PM

Jon Jones: UFC used 'bully tactic' to get him to sign

June 16, 4:31 PM

Although UFC light heavyweight champion and pound-for-pound kingpin Jon Jones is happy to step into the Octagon and trade fists (and unorthodox elbows) with number one contender Alexander Gustafsson, he wasn't impressed with the methods Dana White and the UFC used to get him to add ink to paper.

"Originally, I just kind of identified it as being like a strong arm technique on their part. Get fans pushing for a fight prematurely." Jones told Ariel Helwani on The MMA Hour. "I hadn't even heard that date before...I thought it was unprofessional, a bully tactic."

Despite his distaste for what he thought were strong arm tactics from Zuffa brass, Jones took the high road, and ignored the vitriol being spewed in his direction from fans on social media.

"It wasn't that it was tough, it was just something that I knew I had to do," Jones said (via Bloodyelbow). "I knew that them announcing the fight early was to get fans harassing me, pretty much. I just had to nevermind the masses and do what was best for me and my family."

Jones is set to rematch Gustafsson at UFC 178 on Sept. 27, an event expected to take pace in Toronto, Ontario, Canada.

June 5, 11:42 PM

Jones-Gustafsson 2 set for Sept. 27 at UFC 178 in Toronto

June 5, 11:42 PM

Rejoice, MMA fans - Jon Jones finally signed the contract.

After days of speculation whether or not the UFC lightweight heavyweight champion would sign on for a rematch against Alexander Gustafsson, the UFC announced the fight will go down Sept. 27 at the Air Canada Centre in Toronto.

Jones sat down to talk with UFC president Dana White and UFC CEO Lorenzo Fertitta on Thursday and they were able to reach an agreement on the rematch against Gustafsson.

"There was never an issue with a contract. I was traveling and finally got to Vegas and got to talk with Dana and Lorenzo. We talked and September 27th, I'll be fighting Gustafsson," Jones explained.

Jones went on to say:

I think Cormier is the tougher fighter, but the fans want to see me fight Gustafsson. There was never an issue with taking the Gustafsson fight. The issue was that my brother is getting married in July and I would have preferred a later date. I didn't want to go this early and I would have preferred to go later in October or November. It is what it is. We have a date now, Sept 27th. This was a personal decision for me. I will be at my brother's wedding and have a proper training camp.

Feature photo courtesy of Reuters/Tom Szczerbowski-USA TODAY Sports

June 4, 2:09 PM

White responds to Jones: 'Gustafsson's next in line'

June 4, 2:09 PM

Accusations of fight ducking, bizarre Instagram videos, a challenger calling for an interim title shot - UFC president Dana White has a little bit of a situation on his hands with light heavyweight champion Jon Jones.

On Wednesday, White shared his thoughts about the Jones-Gustafsson-Cormier saga with the Albuquerque Journal and it's no surprise to see where the UFC boss stands:

Gustafsson’s next in line. Even Cormier said, ‘Listen, I hope this whole things works out for me and I get the shot, but even I believe that Gustafsson deserves the next shot.’ (Gustafsson is) the No. 1 contender, he’s waited for this rematch and (Cormier) even agrees.

It’s just one of those things that sucks, to be honest with you. As soon as that kid (Jones) starts to build some steam and starts to become the star that you think he can be, he comes out and doesn’t want to fight somebody. You’re the champion, you’re the pound-for-pound best guy in the world, and he says he wants to be known as the best ever. Well, you don’t turn down opponents, you know what I mean? You’ve got to fight all the best in the world, anyway. You’re the man; everybody’s gunning for you.

Jones' relationship with White hasn't really been the same since the champion forced the cancellation of UFC 151 after Dan Henderson pulled out with an injury. Chael Sonnen offered to take the fight but Jones opted not to take it at that time and took a lot of public criticism for his decision.

Feature photo courtesy of Reuters/Jayne Kamin-Oncea-USA TODAY Sports

June 3, 5:39 PM

VIDEO: Jones addresses critics, Cormier-Gustafsson situation on Instagram

June 3, 5:39 PM

In the latest chapter of the "Jon Jones doesn't want to fight Alexander Gustafsson saga," the UFC light heavyweight champion addressed his haters head on in a video posted on Instagram, which he quickly deleted.

Thank goodness for the fast-thinking people of the Internet.

In the short video, which could almost pass as being filmed live from his bathroom, Jones addresses his desire to fight Daniel Cormier over Gustafsson.

While Gustafsson has signed on to fight Jones in a rematch of their UFC 165 classic at UFC 177 on Aug. 30 in Las Vegas, Jones has yet to agree to the fight and Dana White recently said that the champion wants Cormier instead of Gustafsson.

The Swedish contender also responded to Jones' ducking the fight via his Facebook account:

Jon "Bones" Jones, be a man, be a champ and sign that bout agreement and stop running. Keep in mind that after I beat you and become the champ I might be doing the same to you when you chase me for a rematch, as a revenge for not accepting my challenge. Sooner or later you will have to face me, just make it sooner! The fans wants this fight, UFC wants this fight and I want this fight, and I damn deserve it.

Stay tuned for more Jon Jones wackiness in the near future.

June 2, 8:58 PM

Dana White: Jones wants to face Cormier, not Gustafsson

June 2, 8:58 PM

The unending flapping of Daniel Cormier's gums may have gotten to the champ's head.

According to UFC president Dana White, light heavyweight kingpin Jon Jones' refusal to sign an agreement to rematch lanky-swede, and No. 1 contender, Alexander Gustafsson, has everything to do with Jones' desire to throw leather with Cormier.

"Just to clear up a couple things, people think we're in contract negotiations with Jon Jones - we're not. Jon Jones still has five fights left on his contract," White told UFC.com. "So what we're doing right now is trying to get him to sign the bout agreement for Gustafsson. He doesn't want to fight Gustafsson. ... Lorenzo and I have a meeting with Jones on Thursday to get him to sign the bout agreement, and he's asking to fight Cormier instead."

Gustafsson has already added pen-to-paper on a contract that would have him vie for the title at UFC 177 on Aug. 30.

For his part, Cormier has offered his services against Gustafsson for an interim title should Jones fail to sign a bout agreement with "The Mauler".

May 24, 10:24 PM

Report: Gustafsson has signed for rematch with Jon Jones

May 24, 10:24 PM

The highly anticipated rematch between light heavyweight fighters Alexander Gustafsson and Jon Jones has a target date, a location, and the signature of one of the fighters, according to reports.

The last hurdle to clear is an agreement from the light heavyweight champion Jon Jones.

Gustafsson submitted a verbal agreement to book a 205-pound title fight at UFC 177 on Aug. 30, in Las Vegas, Nevada, UFC co-owner Lorenzo Fertitta reportedly told ESPN.com

The fight was reportedly offered to Jones on Monday, but he has not yet signed off on the rematch.

Gustafsson's trainer Manos Terzitane confirmed the speculation.

"Yes, that's true," Terzitane said. "We were offered to fight on the card at the end of August in Las Vegas. This is a big fight. The first title fight was the best fight in UFC history. We're just hoping Jones will accept the fight."

The initial meeting between the two happened at UFC 165 in September, where Gustafsson pushed the champion Jones to the limit before losing in an unanimous decision.

Jones has not yet responded to any requests for comments on the proposed rematch

Feature photo courtesy of USA TODAY Sports/Tom Szczerbowski