BC-AP Sports Preview Digest
Some of the sports stories The Associated Press is covering Friday. A full Digest will be sent at about 3 p.m. All times EST:
- NEW YORK - The NHL and union meet for the fourth straight day, trying to reach an agreement to end a lockout that threatens the entire season.
- SYRACUSE, N.Y. - Federal authorities drop their investigation into sexual abuse claims that cost a Syracuse assistant basketball coach Bernie Fine his job and threw an elite team into turmoil.
- NEW YORK - NCAA champion Kentucky, ranked No. 3, brings its latest stellar recruiting class to Brooklyn to face Maryland at the Barclays Center. Game starts 8:30 p.m.
- BLOOMINGTON, Ind. - No. 1 Indiana is back on top of college basketball, opening its season against Bryant in a game that shouldn't pose much of a challenge for the Hoosiers. Game starts 8 p.m.
- RAMSTEIN, Germany - No. 14 Michigan State starts its season against Connecticut in an Air Base hangar in Germany that usually houses fighter jets. Game starts 5:30 p.m.
- MOUNT PLEASANT, S.C. - No. 4 Ohio State begins its season against Marquette in the Carrier Classic, the game played on the deck of the USS Yorktown aircraft carrier. Game starts 7 p.m.
- Halfway through the NFL season, it has become clear the AFC isn't keeping pace. Only the Houston Texans are among the league's elite.
- NEW YORK - Through nine weeks, the NFL has had a record number of games with the winning score made in the last two minutes of regulation or overtime.
- Passing-fueled offenses are better than ever in the NFL. More than half the league's quarterbacks are on pace to throw for 4,000 yards, which would shatter the record of 10.
- INDIAN WELLS, Calif. - As general managers prepare to head home on the final day of their annual meeting, eight free agents faced a 5 p.m. deadline to accept $13.3 million offers from their former teams.
- DENVER - The Colorado Rockies introduce new manager Walt Weiss, the ex-shortstop who is making the rare leap from high school coach to major league manager. News conference 2 p.m.
- LONDON - Top-ranked Novak Djokovic plays Tomas Berdych for a spot in the semifinals of the ATP finals. Andy Murray takes on Jo-Wilfried Tsonga in the late match.
- NEW YORK - The Knicks, the NBA's lone unbeaten team, try to stop the Mavericks' three-game winning streak. New York point guard Jason Kidd faces his former team. Game starts 7:30 p.m.
- LAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla. - Charlie Wi has a one-shot lead over Camilo Villegas and Tommy Gainey going into the second round of the final PGA Tour event of the year at Disney.